Act now so as not to leave an inheritance tax bill

Helping relatives

If you are likely to help relatives with their finances as they get older and less able to cope, you should arrange to have a Lasting Power of Attorney. This will allow you to take decisions and act on their behalf. It is more straightforward if you have the authorisation of the person on whose behalf you will be acting, so it makes sense to arrange a Power of Attorney before it is actually needed.

You can’t take it with you!

If you are in the lucky position of having more money than you need for the rest of your life, start giving it away to whoever you would like to benefit from it. By doing this in a carefully planned way, with the help of a professional financial adviser, you may be able to eliminate any inheritance tax payable when you eventually pass away. 

Keep your money and reduce inheritance tax!

Putting some of your savings into investments that qualify for Business Property Relief, such as shares listed on the Alternative Investment Market (AIM), can help reduce inheritance tax as, once you have held them for two years, they are exempt from the tax. AIM shares can be held in ISAs, with the result that you can reduce the value of your estate and continue to benefit from income and growth tax-free without giving them away. 

You could consider using a specialist discretionary fund manager or invest via one of the specialist funds that are now available. However, investments in unquoted companies and those quoted on AIM are considered to be high risk and it may be difficult to sell them quickly. It is important that you understand the risks that you are taking when making such investments and you should take professional financial advice before acting.

The value of your investments can go down as well as up, so you could get back less than you invested. A pension is a long-term investment. The fund value may fluctuate and can go down. Your eventual income may depend upon the size of the fund at retirement, future interest rates and tax legislation. Tax advice which contains no investment element is not regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. The Financial Conduct Authority does not regulate Will writing.